Deutsche Grammophon commemorates the 100th anniversary of the death of the great composer Claude Debussy with a series of publications, including three vinyl reissues with scale-setting piano interpretations.
Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli was nobody who was looking for the big effects. No blender trying to impress with speed or volume. He was a meticulous worker who wanted to highlight every detail of a composition, adding a special dynamic to each note. Thus, also with this recording of the images and of Children's Corner, a color spectrum and a degree of definite articulation, which is probably unequaled until today.
Award winning pianist Christian Zacharias said: "Michelangeli opened my ears, and showed me what a truly great pianist can deliver. He played Debussy's "Images" and "Children's Corner", and I can still hear almost every note. He was devastatingly impressive."
• Mastered from original sources •
Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, piano
Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
1st Serie pour Piano a 2 mains
1. Reflets dans l'eau (Andantino molto)
2. Hommage a Rameau (Lent et grave)
3. Mouvement (Anime)
2nd Serie pour Piano seul
4. Cloches a travers les feuilles (Lent)
5. Et la lune descend sur le temple qui fut (Lent)
6. Poissons d'or (Anime)
1. Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum (Moderement anime)
2. Jimbo's Lullaby (Assez modere)
3. Serenade for the doll (Allegretto ma non troppo)
4. The snow is dancing (Moderement anime)
5. The little shepherd (Tres modere)
6. Golliwogg's cake-walk (Allegro giusto)